Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Community- it's a beautiful thing...
So, Taylor buzzword- community. This year, I have gotten to experience that community in a much deeper way. I chose to stay on the wing as the lone ["token"] senior because I wanted to live with a good friend. I had a little apprehension about it at first but it has been such a blessing. The women that live on 2WO this year are QUALITY. I feel privileged and honored to be part of such a great group of godly women. From being intentional about sharing our lives/ testimonies to crazy dance parties and other hilarious antics not suitable for public knowledge, it has been the right decision to stay on, through and through. One of the coolest ways I have seen 2-dub come together has been intramural football. As I might have mentioned in a post awhile back, we won the Taylor intramural football championship. The winners of Taylor's championship go on to play against IWU's championship team in a game, truthfully known as "The Backyard Brawl". The game was Monday night at IWU under the lights and it was phenomenal. Defensively, it was by far the best game Second West has ever played. Offensively, we would've smoked them if not for the fact we have to play by their rules- which are pretty sissy. Maddy and I played the best game either of us have ever played, getting at least 10 sacks a piece. Second West won in overtime and it was a 4-year dream come true, literally. I feel kind of cheesy saying that but after losing in the championship game freshman year, Amy, Ashley, and I have been out to win it ever since. After a particularly hard season last year, it was even more exciting to do so well this year. The highlight of the game for me came when after a particularly sweet flag grab by yours truly, the entire crowd started chanting my last name. Playing sports in high school that didn't allow for much individual recognition, it was humbling and exhilarating at the exact same time. Knowing we had so much support (probably close to 1,000 people on the sidelines) gave us the energy and encouragement to play to the best of our abilities and win in overtime. Truly, this is a memory I'll talk about for years to come. The Lord above all is responsible for the win and I pray it brings Him glory. He provided the incredible community we live in this year which I believe is a big reason for our success throughout the season. When it comes down to it, we are not so much more athletic than any other wing. We simply know and love each other deeply and that community allows to play as one body, for the glory of our King.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
good posts! i haven't caught up with them in a while.
i still need to apply to Steamboat. over tgiving break is the plan.
and by "Steamboat" i meant Vista Verde
i love it :) yay us!
Post a Comment