Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"what's next?"

So every college senior's favorite question- what's next? Answer: I have no idea. I figured I might as well post about this because it's been consuming most of what I think about lately. I took the leap and told the Ranch I was interested in applying to be a mentor. Will I end up there? I have no clue. Even if they offer me the position, I still don't know if that's where I'll end up. Lord willing, I'll be down there for fall break and that will help me make a decision. I also have this huge passion to go out west and explore and start somewhere new. For the girl who has spent most of her life in the comfortable circles she's always been familiar with, this is a huge step- and not one I take lightly. If I am offered the mentor position, everything is taken care of- income, a place to live, even community and a couple great churches to choose from. So why does going out west continue to appeal? I don't know. It's something new, there are mountains, there are job opportunities that aren't available elsewhere.

In a sermon I heard last Sunday, as well as some wise words from a friend struggling through the same issue (albeit he graduates in December so is feeling much more pressure than I am), I was reminded that the Christian's call is to often and wholeheartedly give our lives to the Lord. The sermon was based on the 8th commandment "Do Not Steal". Pastor DeNeff went on to talk about how maybe one of the lessons God tries to teach us through that commandment is that we need to not hold on so tightly and be so possessive of our stuff. Then he went on to say that maybe this is true for our entire lives as well. The service ended with everyone walking up to the altar on their way out and stopping to pray saying, "Lord, when you ask me for it, I will give you my life, every part of it." My friend has been reminded of the same thing in his life from his dad and a mentor that the uncertainty and the fear in this situation is perhaps a reminder from the Lord that we are to trust Him fully. Trust and true faith isn't knowing what the next step is and asking God to make the transition smooth. Faith is saying, "God, I have no idea what's coming next, but I trust you." A great verse I found the other day says, " But I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God. My times are in Your hands.' ..Save me in Your unfailing love." -Psalm 31:14-15 I learned huge lessons about faith in Ethiopia last January; maybe they were a foundation for the huge transitions coming up in my life in the next year.

No comments: