Monday, June 9, 2008


So good news! The blog site has been unblocked at the Ranch, so hopefully updates will be coming a lot more regularly. So there are so many good things that go on here at the Ranch, it's really incredible. This place runs solely on the contributions of people who believe in what happens here. Sorting the mail is really incredible, because you see money just pouring in. But there are also a lot of hard things to deal with too. Friday was a staff meeting for all the staff at the Ranch, which I got to sit in on. It was cool to hear all the stuff going on, but at the same time, it was really hard because they talked about kids who are here who need to go elsewhere because either they don't want to be here or they are causing problems. This is a place for kids from crisis situations, but not kids who cause the problems in their homes. The Ranch isn't equipped to handle kids who cause trouble or need higher security. Friday's meeting disclosed one girl who was leaving. Sadly, she was one of the girls I felt like I had already connected with. She was one of my roller coaster buddies when we went to Dollywood last Tuesday. Apparently though she has often expressed her desire to leave the Ranch and after this last break, has been more adamant than ever that she wanted to leave. She walked into the office Friday afternoon crying and it was pretty tough to realize that she won't be around anymore. There was another girl discussed in the meeting who will be leaving once the Ranch finds a placement for her. It just sucks because all I see is the really sweet side of the kids, but I also don't live in the houses with them.
The weekend was pretty sweet though. It's hotter than heck down here. All of last week boasted temperatures in the mid to high 90's. Saturday I went into the Park and did a hike to Abrams falls. It's beautiful. After that I swam in the river for a while because it's been so hot. That's probably one of the biggest parts of HoneyRock I really miss- cool weather. Granted, it's nice to actually have a tan already and it's only June, but it's not so nice to feel like I'm sweating all the time. And at least there's air conditioning in every building. Sunday I tried out First Baptist Church of Sevierville. It was alright, but I need to remember I'm in the South, and Baptist churches are a little different down here than I'm used to. I'm going to check out a Presbyterian church next week, otherwise I'll just stick to Church of the Cove. Sunday afternoon I spent next to the pool- it was too hot to do much else. I'm definitely thankful that there's a pool here that I'm welcome to use anytime I want. Another perk HoneyRock doesn't have- I don't have to wait for a lifeguard. Alright, well, I'm hungry so I think it's time for a snack before dinner. Hope you all are doing well.

No comments: