Friday, February 27, 2009

finally, an update...

So, I recognize that it's been almost 3 months since I've posted anything. To those who actually read this, I apologize. I don't even really have a good explanation. Sure, things have been really busy but I also had Christmas break, jterm break, and numerous weekends in between there. So let's see what I should probably catch up on. Christmas break was great- I started it with 4 days back in Tennessee. I interviewed at the Ranch for a mentor position for next fall and they offered it. I still haven't decided if I'm going- that explanation will come later. It was really great to see friends there though. Got to meet Seth and Amy's newest- baby Claire. Hannah and Caleb remembered me so that was great. Louise is quite a bit bigger but just as adorable. Got to be there for her first birthday and to see some of her first steps. Got some good life advice from Ryan- as usual. I got to see the mountains covered in snow, revisit a few of my favorite sites in the Park, got all my Christmas shopping done in 1 day, saw camp staff, but most of all, got to properly saw goodbye to all the kids/ mentors that I had to leave so hastily at the end of summer. I fully expect to see most of them again but it was hard to have to leave so quickly this summer. Next I was home for about a week. It was just really relaxing to hang out at home, nothing on the schedule and not too many people to catch up with because most everyone still wasn't home for break. Danny and I had our traditional end-of-semester breakfast at First Watch. It's crazy to think we've finished 7 out of 8 semesters at Taylor. Then went to my grandma's house for a few days. It was the first time my whole family has been together on Christmas in a couple years, so that was great. My grandma's is always really restful because I don't really get phone/ internet while I'm there and never have homework to take. It was pretty crazy to think that the last time I was at her house was right before I left for Ethiopia. How life has changed in a year...After grandma's, we drove to Lexington to see my dad's side of the family. My cousin was getting married- talk about feeling old. He's 3 years younger than me and is married, has a child, and has a naval career. It was so fun to hang out with my whole extended family on that side though. While we were all rejoicing with the wedding, the time there was marred by the grief of my Dad and uncle losing their favorite cousin. Maurisa and my dad grew up together- they're only a month apart in age. He was hit pretty hard by the sudden news of her death. And it was sobering to look at my cousin Cory, who is only 2 weeks younger than me, and think about how I would feel if I lost him. We've been best friends since we were born- it would be like losing a twin- my other half. After that was new year's which I spent with my dear friend Laura. It was chill but really fun. While I love people and big new year's parties and all that, I really appreciate small gatherings with good friends even more.
Came back to school, dived into jterm. I'm not gonna lie, it was tough being back on campus for jterm this year. My heart was in Ethiopia and honestly, it probably will be until I go back. It was awesome to get to hear all the updates from the teams and to hear how God was working so powerfully in their lives. And it's pretty sweet to have this whole other group of people that understands how my world was rocked by my time there. Jterm classes weren't awesome, but it was a good chance to spend some time with people I don't always invest in much. I spent a lot of time with the underclassmen on my wing and with the brother wing since a lot of my senior friends were gone or really busy with capstone classes. I got to go up to Chicago one weekend and it was just really fun to spend time with Molly and Lorin and catch up with a lot of other friends there. Finally got to spend some time with my friend Ryan who I hadn't seen in at least a year. Also spent a night at my friend Kalyn's house, just hanging out with a small group of girls on the wing. I don't think I'll ever take for granted a home and the way it feels after college. While the dorm is awesome and is a constant opportunity to invest in people, a home is so... nurturing and comforting. I can't wait to have my own home and invite others over. Jterm break I went to Cedarville to visit Angie. It was so much fun to just get to hang out with her, see Cedarville and meet all her friends. Since I haven't been to visit since freshman year, it was great to see her in her element there. Also, Angie's friendship has always been so encouraging. It's one I know will last even past college, no matter where we both end up.
Second semester, aka my last semester, has started. A lot of mixed emotions come with the start of the semester. Joy at knowing I'm almost finished with school and get to start something new, hopefully doing what I love. Sadness with friends studying abroad this semester, knowing I might never live near them again. Fear at realizing I'm so close to the end and don't have definite plans for after graduation figured out. Curiosity at what comes next. And probably the worst feeling of knowing I will leave behind so many people I love. It's really weird to picture them being here and me not being with them. While I know it's time and each day I get closer to being more ready, I will certainly miss people desperately and that feeling is compounded by the fact that I will most likely be nowhere near any of my friends immediately following graduation. I take comfort in the weddings that will serve as mini-reunions but it's hard knowing it'll never be the same. I'm doing my best to soak it all up while I can and invest in people as much as possible before those friendships become long-distance.
Ok, enough of the sad stuff. Some recent news: I had a job interview Monday with a guest ranch in CO. I interviewed with a different ranch in the fall and nothing worked out there but this one sounds really promising. I should know in the next few days. That news will determine my summer. If I get the job, I'll be in the middle-of-nowhere Colorado all summer and possibly into the fall. If I don't, I'll be in south Florida, soaking up the sun and learning to scuba dive when I'm not working in the store at the Florida sea base. Ocean or mountains? You all probably know which one I'd choose but we'll see where God's choosing for me to be. I'm content either way, but I'm hopeful for Colorado. I've applied for a yearlong internship through YoungLife that will start in the fall and go through next summer. I haven't heard anything back yet but if they accept me, then I'll go there. If not, I'll go to Tennessee. At the moment, I'm content with either option, but I'm hoping for the YL internship because it's real ministry training and a great discipleship program. The crazy thing about the guest ranch and the YL internship is that if I get either position, I basically commit to be single while I'm there. The guest ranch has a "no staff dating" policy and the internship says that if you come in single, you commit to be single through the year. Well, basically, you commit to pursuing no new romantic relationships. I've committed the whole thing to the Lord and I can honestly say that if that's what God has for me, then I'm content to do so. Everyone keeps saying that I'll start dating before I go, but I'm not real convinced. It's just weird to think about putting that stipulation on my life voluntarily. It can be great though and is eliminating a distraction to full time ministry. So, you might be asking why I'm pursuing this YL internship if I've never been involved with YL before. The answer: I've realized that my life calling is to go into ministry, particularly high school or maybe eventually college ministry. After years of praying and wondering, God just made it really clear that I'm supposed to go into ministry and my preferred avenue to do so is outdoor recreation. God has used both those things powerfully in my life and I'm thrilled about seeing His work in the next generation.
Well, that's about it on this end. I applied with Taylor to be a YC small group leader, so I'll find that out in the next couple days. I should hear back from the guest ranch in the next week. And for now, I'm going to dinner. Bye friends!

1 comment:

Kate. said...

FINALLY, indeed! :) Good to get an update from you. I have a snow day today, so if you have some down time today or sometime soon, I'd love to hear your voice and hear about life. I'm praying for you ladies finishing up at TU and praying for that road that lies ahead - the one that God knew specifically about, for you, a long time ago. I'm confident that you're going to rock at whatever you do :)

Some love for ya ;)
K8