Monday, July 14, 2008

"three little ducks that I once knew, wide ones, sknny ones, there were two..."

So week 1 of camp is already over and we're well on our way through week 2. It's crazy how busy I become. Time passes slowly but every minute is packed full of stuff to do. From this side of the week, I can say it was good. But the first couple days were rough. Seth was really sick, to the point where he needed to stay in bed for a couple hours at a time. And between rain and not knowing what to do, I was just really overwhelmed. Things got better, I learned all the crazy camp songs [including 3 little ducks, which is the title of this post], got more sleep and fell into the groove of things. Like I've said from the beginning, this summer is definitely a growing experience for me. I hate being so busy that I can never catch up with friends and such, but hopefully, they [you all] know that I love you and miss you and just can't really talk much. Some highlights of the week- a hike to Spruce Flat Falls (I know I've said this a million times, but pictures to come), seeing the Tennessee countryside come back to life after a lot of much needed rain, connecting with some of the other staff to the point where I actually feel like I have friends here, and so much more. I got to work down at the barn one day and teach a lesson- it was really fun but at the beginning, I had to get an old CHA manual out to refresh my memory on some horse parts and make sure I wasn't missing any. It's been 2 years since I last taught a lesson and I was a little rusty. I've also gotten to go to the river a lot with the Adventure Rec. and Energy Craze kids, which was fun too.
Friday and Saturday were definitely two of the best days of the summer thus far. Friday, despite a very weird start with crazy dreams, little sleep, a bunch of my CIT's being really out of it, and some crazy emails, lots of good stuff happened. I saw a bunch of campers reunited with their families, I got a care package from my best friend [it included some of my favorites- Haribo gummy bears and peanut butter m&m's and a BEAUTIFUL scarf from Israel ], a lot of encouragement, and a visit from 3 of my wrangler friends from 2 years ago. Since it was getting late once all the campers left and everything was cleaned up, we ended up just hanging out at Kit and Ryan's for the night. Saturday we went for a beautiful trail ride around the Ranch, had lunch at a great barbecue place [if anyone wants to visit, I'll take you there], then went hiking and tubing in the Park. The river was really high after all the rain we've had so it was ideal for tubing- that coupled with lots of people getting ejected and just all of us being together again, there was a lot of laughter. We had to hurry back from tubing and grab quick showers because then it was off to DIXIE STAMPEDE! I can't stop talking about it; it was so much fun. I recommend everyone go see it, especially horse people. Look it up on the internet if you don't know what it is- it's phenomenal. And I may or may not have emailed them that night inquiring about a job as a horseback performer... :) It was just awesome all the way around. Then we went shopping at Stages West (a western store) but not before a quick visit to Walgreens [where we saw a live camel...only in Pigeon Forge]. I found a shirt that I LOVE at Stages West that will be perfect for Meg and Ty's rehearsal dinner/ square dance. It was so fun hanging out with the crew knowing that it will only be a few weeks before I see them all again. Camp started again on Sunday and it's already so much smoother than last week. And the weather forecast is beautiful all week so hopefully all activities will go according to plan. I got to go swimming in the river today with Tennis and jump off Metcalf rock, which was sweet. And I should be tubing tomorrow with Adventure Rec., swimming with Energy Craze Wednesday, and going to the waterfall with Adv. Rec. on Thursday, so if I play my cards right, I could be going to the Park every day this week. One last highlight of the day to mention- I got an email from my old boss at HoneyRock asking if I would be willing to lead a wilderness trip, which would be PERFECT if the timing works out. I actually called him a couple weeks ago to ask and never heard back so I assumed they didn't need anyone. We'll see- it would be so sweet to get to lead one. Getting paid to go camping, there are worse things in life. And it would be perfect to add another trip to my resume if I really want to get into that stuff after college. Alright, for now though I am out. It might be this weekend before I can post again, but your prayers are still very much appreciated. It is only by God's grace and your prayers that I get through every day.

No comments: